Malawi’s Ministry of Natural Resources, Energy and Mining has decided to review all licences granted to companies to explore for oil and gas and any agreements made with these companies. The companies affected include Surestream Petroleum (with Hamra Oil Holdings), RAK Gas, SacOil, Pacific Oil & Gas.
The Press Release (see image below), signed by Principal Secretary Ben Botolo, explains that the review is being undertaken to ensure that licences granted and agreements signed are for the benefit of the people of Malawi and that Malawian law was followed. This was release on 20 November 2014 in The Nation. The announcement was made the day before on the radio.
Other recent articles on Lake Malawi oil exploration and dispute are listed below:
- Mediation team urges patience from Malawi, Tanzania, 21 November, The Nation, Frank Namangale
- Puzzlement as govt suspends oil exploration, 21 November, The Nation, Chikondi Chiyembekeza
- Government suspends oil exploration, 21 November, The Daily Times, Grace Thipa
- RakGas gets local support as Malawi oil search momentum builds, 20 November 2014, The Nation, Jarson Malowa
- Malawi stops oil, gas exploration: RakGas gets support, 20 November 2014, Nyasa Times, Hudson Mphande
- Malawi govt calls for immediate suspension of oil and gas exploration, 20 November 2014, The Maravi Post, Yamikani Simutowe
- Lake Malawi not negotiable say President Mutharika, 20 November 2014, Malawi24, Happy Soko
- Malawi-Tanzania Lake Row: Issue not negotiable, says President Mutharika, 20 November 2014, The Maravi Post, Yamikani Simutowe
- Is Hamra Oil Holdings Limited a Briefcase Oil Exploration Company? 10 November, The Maravi Post, Maxwell Chisala
- Karonga community nods to oil exploration, 6 November 2014, The Nation
- Call for referendum on Lake Malawi oil drilling activities, 4 November 2014, Nyasa Times, Maxwell Chisala (and carried by other online Malawian papers)
- 10 Malawians get oil, gas engineering scholarships, 29 October 2014, The Nation
- Karonga residents query on oil exploration, 24 October 2014, Nyasa Times