On 20 July 2016, the first meeting of the recently established Chamber of Mines and Energy Malawi saw the election of a council.
Dean Lungu (Bwanje Cement Company) was elected President and Russel Thornicroft (Rift Valley Mining) will serve as Vice President. Grain Malunga will continue in his role as coordinator for the Chamber.
The following members were also elected onto the council:
- Alec Sharland (Paladin Africa Limited)
- Abdul Mohammed (Nyala Mines Ltd);
- Bobby Singh (Optichem 2000 Ltd);
- Burton Kachinjika (Mkango Resources);
- Chrispine Ngwena (Globe Metals and Mining);
- James Chatupa (Craton Resources);
- Dina Longwe (Bwanje Cement Company);
- Paulo Rocha (Mota-Engil);
- Hastings Jere (Coal Africa Ltd);
- Hellen Chabunya (M’bwabwa Mining and Energy Ltd)
The key activities or objectives of the Chamber will be as follows:
- to promote, advance and protect the mining industry of Malawi;
- to promote the interests of its members;
- to consider all questions connected with the mining industry and to promote public interest therein;
- to collect and circulate information relating to the mining industry; and
- to promote the interests of apprentices and learners in all branches of the mining industry and to encourage the practical and technical training of such apprentices and learners.
To join the Chamber, see here.