Today, Chief Secretary to the Government of Malawi, George Mkondiwa, announced the new cabinet list. Bright Msaka SC is Malawi’s new Minister of Natural Resources, Energy and Mining. Msaka replaces Atupele Muluzi MP, who is now Minister of Home Affairs and Internal Security.Msaka had been Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development since June 2014 and was Chief Secretary during Bingu wa Mutharika’s presidency but replaced by Joyce Banda in early 2013.
Muluzi, leader of the United Democratic Front, is the only opposition Member of Parliament in the cabinet. No Minister has been dropped but Muluzi, Msaka and Paul Chibingu MP have been shuffled to different ministries.
In addition, the President has appointed Gerald Viola as the new press secretary. As a result, Viola will leave his position as Director of Information in the Ministry of Information, Tourism and Civil Education.
The full press release is available below.
Press Release: NEW CABINET LIST
His Excellency the State President, Professor Arthur Peter Mutharika, in exercise of the powers conferred upon him by Section 94 (1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Malawi, has made some changes to the Cabinet with effect from Friday, 10th April, 2015.
The new Cabinet is as follows:-
1. State President, Minister of Defence and Commander-In-Chief of the Malawi Defence Force and the Malawi Police
Service: His Excellency Professor Arthur Peter Mutharika
2. Vice President and Minister Responsible for Disaster and Relief Management, National Public Events and Chairperson of the Civil Service and Public Service Reform Commission: Right Honourable Saulos Klaus Chilima
3. Minister of Finance, Economic Planning and Development: Honourable Goodall Gondwe
4. Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation: Honourable George Chaponda, M.P.
5. Minister of Labour and Manpower Development: Honourable Henry Mussa, M.P.
6. Minister of Health: Honourable Dr. Jean Kalilani, M.P.
7. Minister of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare: Honourable Patricia Kaliati, M.P.
8. Minister of Home Affairs and Internal Security: Honourable Atupele Muluzi, M.P.
9. Minister of Justice and Constitutional Affairs: Honourable Samuel Tembenu
10. Minister of Information, Tourism and Culture: Honourable Kondwani Nankhumwa, M.P.
11. Minister of Natural Resources, Energy and Mining: Honourable Bright Msaka, S.C.
12. Minister of Agriculture, Irrigation and Water Development: Honourable Dr. Allan Chiyembekeza, M.P.
13. Minister of Industry and Trade: Mwanamveka, M.P. Honourable Joseph
14. Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development: Honourable Paul Chibingu, M.P.
15. Ministry of Transport and Public Works: Honourable Francis Kasaila, M.P.
16. Minister of Education, Science and Technology: Honourable Dr. Emmanuel Fabiano, M.P.
17. Minister of Local Government and Rural Development: Honourable Trasizio Gowelo, M.P.
18. Minister of Youth and Sports Development: Honourable Grace Obama Chiumia, M.P.
19. Deputy Minister of Education, Science and Technology: Honourable Vincent Winstone Ghambi, M.P.
20. Deputy Minister of Defence: Honourable Jappie Mhango, M.P.
George C. Mkondiwa
CHIEF SECRETARYTO THE GOVERNMENT
10th April, 2015